While midsize and Fortune 1000 companies will not be embarking on new projects anytime soon, IT spending has increased and companies are investing more in consolidation, virtualization and cloud computing technology, said a recent survey from TheInfoPro.

The survey found that companies are no longer focused on reducing IT spending, as spending as well as budgets are expected to increase in 2010. However, the majority of companies surveyed said they would continue to hold on new projects.

"There's no truth to the hype that we are going to see a quick spending rebound after the year we've just had, but there is still a lot to be pleased with in terms of anticipated 2010 budgets," said Ken Male, CEO of TheInfoPro. "[T]here is benefit from these tough times; for example, IT departments will expand services based on the consolidation and virtualization measures that have worked well for them to get through this recession."

Desktop virtualization, unified messaging solutions, business analytics and virtual servers emerged as some of the strongest areas of planned spending. Cloud computing also experienced a surge in interest - doubling from 20 percent of companies last year to 40 percent this year - though that still leaves 60 percent of companies unconvinced of the benefits of cloud technology, primarily due to security concerns.

Another area that organizations may want to pencil into their budgets is IT security, as a recent report from Osterman Research found that enterprise security threats are increasing faster than ever.

CenterBeam allows mid-sized businesses to consume IT services and expertise on-demand, instead of provisioning and staffing in-house. Learn about their flat monthly fee.ADNFCR-2553-ID-19487350-ADNFCR